Monday, February 16, 2009

This I Believe...(2nd time)

I believe that every person can make a positive difference in the world, big or small. Where this belief comes to play with my life involves my career goals. I am currently on my way to becoming a teacher, and teachers have the great opportunity of making positive differences in the lives of their students each and every day.

Looking back through my childhood and adolescence, I find that the people who I remember as making a difference in my life are my teachers. My first grade teacher, Mrs. Traynham, made me excited to come to school everyday and worked afterschool with me to improve my reading skills. My 7th grade teacher, Ms. Bramlette, inspired to become more involved with writing, and as it turned out I was the chief editor of the newspaper staff my senior year of high school. My 9th grade english teacher, Mrs. Mason, was the first one to show me that my parents were not the only ones who cared about my grades and achievement.

I have had many teachers over the years and although teachers may not think it is apparent, students can easily point out the teachers that care and the teachers that don’t. The last thing I want to be is a teacher who seems like they do not care. Children have just as many everyday struggles as adults do, with things like fitting in, accepting and expressing oneself, making good grades, pleasing their parents, and finding who they really are and what they want to do in this life. That is why in my future classroom I plan on using uplifting words of praise and encouragement, instilling in my students a sense of self worth, providing assistance and support consistently, and making them believe that they can be whatever they want to be in this life.

I believe that educators have been given the gift of making differences in the lives of their students, no matter how young or old, smart or not smart. I believe that simply showing you care, no matter what profession you are in, can be the ultimate difference on how people view themselves and the world that we live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment