Monday, February 23, 2009

Classroom Management

Here are three classroom management techniques that I use/plan to use in my classroom while student teaching and in the future in order to promote an enriching and safe learning environment for my students.

1. Start class on time

This is something that I have practiced from in my classrooms from the first time I started teaching them. Immediately when the bell rings, I start taking attendance that way the students know the class period has begun and it is time to quiet down and get ready to work. Many times the computer is very slow and it takes a while to take attendance on ClassXP, so I assign my students something to get started on like a “bell-ringer” activity to work on while I get things ready the lecture or activity that we will be doing that day.


2. Set clear expectations and guidelines

I think this is very important to do on the very first day of class. If you wait and set guidelines or rules as you go then odds are students will not take them seriously. Students need structure and routines. They need to know the policy for late work, making up tests, and turning in homework everyday. They also need to know from the beginning what is expected of them. Teachers should always create high expectations for their learners.

3. Set-up of classroom

An extremely important factor in classroom management is they way you arrange and structure your classroom. Simply organizing desks a certain way can cut back on cheating, talking, and other disruptions. I think seating charts are always a good idea as well, especially to anticipate and prevent any kind of disruption between students. If you know that these two girls talk all the time, to get rid of it you just assign them seats far way from each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment