Monday, January 26, 2009

This I Believe/Philosophy of Education

My goal as a Social Studies teacher is to be able to use my knowledge about all areas of Social Studies in my lessons, express the importance of civic responsibility and citizenship, and incorporate technology to relate past situations to present ones, and present information in a way so that all students understand. I feel that if I accomplish these goals while teaching that my students will grow intellectually and personally, and enjoy being in my classroom everyday while having a bright outlook on education, thus creating a positive difference in their lives.
Currently, my classroom is full of students who do not realize their potential. They look at their social studies classes as being less important than the other subjects, and maybe that is taken from the attitude of the teachers. I plan on creating a classroom environment where social studies exciting, from geography to psychology, and stressing its importance at every opportunity.
In order to make social studies a more exciting subject, I plan to relate in and every topic covered to the students lives or current events in the world. It is true that history classes can be rather boring if you are just learning the facts, but if a teacher shows the connections between events of the past that got us to where we are as a nation today or by putting the students in the shoes of the people of the past, then students are going understand the topics easier and be excited about learning. Another way I plan on making my classroom exciting is integrating technology into the curriculum as much as possible. Students love technology, and I believe that using it as much as possible in the classroom to show examples of concepts, create presentations, or i movies, then the students will enjoy coming to class each day.
Social studies is such an important subject! I don’t know why students are so unenthusiastic about it? Well, in my classroom they will see everyday how important social studies is to education and to people. The importance of civic responsibility and citizenship, in my classes, is what is taken for granted the most. It is dreadful when students fail to stand up to salute the flag in the morning. I plan on stressing to my students the importance of being a good citizen and fulfilling all civic responsibilities. By doing so, I will be encouraging students be active in the government, follow all rules ,regulations, and laws, and be an upright citizen of the United States. Hopefully by promoting these values, I am making a difference in the lives of the students, and the world.

1 comment:

  1. Great job on this. I love that you are embracing technology in the classroom. Please keep me posted on the ways you are doing this in your student-teaching. What works, where are you struggling, etc. I think it's great that you also want to encourage students to be great citizens. I encourage you to help your students define what this means and develop their own strategies for civic participation. This might motivate them to become great citizens by drawing on their creativity to get involved.

    ReplyDelete